Positive steps to improving your posture
PosturePlast is one of the most effective ways of improving posture and relieving lower back pain, but there are many things you can do, in addition to wearing PosturePlast, to improve your posture and back health.
- When sitting, sit well back in the chair making sure your low back is well supported. A rolled towel in your lower back may help you keep this posture
- When standing, imagine a string attached to your head, pulling upwards. Bear weight equally on both feet, keep your knees relaxed and shoulders squared, not rounded
- When lying down, ideally the spine should be kept in a straight line. A firm mattress will help and pillows may help you achieve this position
- When lifting, stand with a wide stance close to the object you are picking up and keep your feet firm on the ground. Tighten your stomach muscles and lift the object using your leg muscles. Straighten your knees in a steady motion. Don't jerk the object up to your body
- Don't forget to keep moving - try not to sit for longer than 30 minutes without standing up, even for just 5 seconds. This will allow different muscles to contract and blood to flow round freely.
For those of who are sitting for much of the day it is really important to keep moving but if you find it hard to leave your desk try these 2 simple exercises
Adam says: Anything you can do to help improve your posture will help to reduce your chances of having lower back pain, so the effort really is worth it!